Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I Survived the Weekend - Paleo Style!

I was SOOOO nervous about traveling to Houston (re: previous post) and being able to stick to my paleo plan.  I've been super diligent and focused, and I just really didn't want to screw it up because of lack of options.

Friday I got to my sisters and had some grilled veggies, almonds, but didn't fix the salmon b/c I was honestly too tired.  But at least I got something to eat, even if it was less than I'd planned.

Saturday I got up and on the road to Success School, had my banana and mini egg muffin bites on the way, stashed some carrots, almonds and dried cranberries in my bag.  I was pretty nervous about a lot of things, (finding parking, finding my crew, and most of all, food options). We were at a MLB ballpark, so bringing in anything was going to be tricky, much less anything "hot".  It wasn't as bad as I had anticipated, though.  Found my parking, found my crew, and seats. It. Was. Freezing. inside. They had no heat, and that much concrete, well it was just cold. and I even had a wrap with me.

Good news is there was a healthy (er) choice buffet for $20. I was able to look at it before buying it, and found I could have a few things, so I paid the money and jumped in. I couldn't feel my fingers at this point, so I really wanted something hot / warm. Grilled veggies, chicken and fruit it was. Then I walked back to my car to get a blanket.  It was seriously like an ice box in there!

Headed to Spring, ran to the grocery store, picked up goodies for my Paleo dinner I was cooking that night.  Bonafide success! Pork Chops, Squash & Broccoli.  Woke up Sunday AM, went to the store again to pick up things for our lunch before the football started.  It was fun to shop with someone and share with confidence about things that are and aren't paleo. It was nice to be supported in my challenge and looked to for guidance for healthy eating.

Got sent home with leftovers and learned how to cook a spaghetti squash, too!

Success, Indeed!

2 comments:

Running Meg said...

WOOT WOOT! Nice work! It's always tough to be out of your comfort zone when working on a new eating plan. And yay for learning how to cook spaghetti squash! Did you like it?

Unknown said...

Meg - the Squash was phenomenal! I think I ate it every day last week (main meal was spaghetti w/ Italian Sausage meatballs - no noodles, squash instead!) Highly recommend!!!