Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Paleo Baseline = Suck.

So each year we do our Paleo challenge, which comes with a Baseline WOD that we do on days 1 and 30.

I told you guys yesterday that I wasn't prepared, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that I was woefully unprepared. I just sucked.

My time and performance yesterday was so sub par compared to what I know I can do.  I just didn't have anything in the tank to get it done the way I wanted to.  Realizing that I have to work back up to things I was doing with ease before, switching from a 14lb wall ball to a 10 lb one, doing a green band pull up, wishing I'd used a green / black combo b/c my body weight felt like 2 tons, pulling the rower felt like I was never going to get to the end...

The only thing I did feel really good about was my bench press after the WOD was done.


The lesson:

A fellow crossfit friend called me last night after her Baseline WOD, and she was equally as frustrated with her performance.  I found myself giving her the advice I needed to hear myself.

We may not be where we want to be, we may be slow, we may be last, but we're ahead of where we were a year ago.

It comes down to this.

As a flute student, if I wanted to get better, I had to practice.  I took private lessons. I spent HOURS with just me and my instrument working on scales, breathing, noodling, transitions.  Micro-movements with my pinky finger.  Every single tiny element had to have focus and study in order for me to get better.  Just showing up and playing through the 30-45 mins in class each day wasn't going to make me a better flute player.  I had to be the student of my instrument, of my skill. That was on me.  I didn't get to be first chair because I was cordial.  I earned it by being a good student and knew my craft and my instrument.

The same thing goes for Crossfit.  Me showing up and working out each day isn't going to necessarily make me better, more efficient, more apt.  I have to practice even when I'm not there.  I have to take my own time to come in and work on the elements I want to get better at.

I want to run faster?  Practice running. Break down my movements. Focus on the short run.  Focus on my breathing.  Focus on how my foot rolls when I'm moving forward.

Every single tiny element makes a difference.  Transitions. Shoes. Arms. Shoulders. Tension (or lack there of)... Everything.

Break it down.

Get better.

I've got 29 days until we do this WOD again. I'm going to be working on the things I can do to improve my time.  I know I can do this and shave a good 5 mins off.

Goal set.

No comments: