Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Crossfit Goals 2014 - Finding Focus

One of the great things about the Box I belong to is how the coaches keep us motivated and focused on our progress.  For 2014, we have been challenged to come up with 3 goals we want to achieve in the coming year.  For me, being in the middle of week 10, thinking about where I could be at week 61 or 62, the progress I WILL make and the achievements I will hit, honestly, it's unfathomable and a little overwhelming.  I'm not sure I know how to come up with just 3... and think so far ahead.

I know there are things I want to do, milestones I want to hit, things I want to overcome, and then there's the fear of not getting there, setting the bar too high, or not high enough.  I don't want to fail, but I don't want to hit them too soon either... Where's the juuuuust right button?

I'm overthinking it. I know.  Believe me, I know.

Looking back at those things I have already achieved in just 10 weeks time (Box jump, Double Under, running 400m w/o stopping), they're all "small" but "BIG" things.  So maybe I just focus on upping the numbers on those, getting stronger,  further distance, because those are the things I can measure right now. 

I definitely know my weaknesses.  Maybe that's a good place to start:

I lose serious time on the following:
Push Ups
Pull Ups
Burpees
Running
Jump Rope

They're major time killers.  Like M-A-J-O-R time suck. 

Things I modify but hold steady:
Box Jumps - using a 5 stack of 45lbs 

Things I feel fairly confident with and get a little smirk when I see them on the WOD:
Rows
Planks
Sit Ups
Farmers Carries
Kettle Bells

I know I need to start upping my weights, add some strength, get my shoulders and upper body reacting quicker, taking advantage of the push off, using my legs more to propel, trust the jumps, really start pushing my body to learn and TRUST more movements, be precise, and stop looking for ways to modify and face the challenge(s).  

I don't want to feel relief or apprehension when I pull the WOD up each morning, depending on what's listed. I want to see it, learn it, prepare best I can for it, and kill it when I get there.  So many times I make it through and feel like I could have done more, pushed harder, but sell myself short just to "play it safe".  Insecurity at its finest.  I gotta fix that. 

I like my schedule of 3-4 times a week, and there are times I wish I could go more, do more.  Right now, I'm content on sticking with this one thru April, which will be the current membership cycle.  I don't know if I could commit to the 5x-6x/week, but I'd like to work up to that at some point.  Not making plans, per my resolutions, but the idea is in the back of my head. 

I like the results I'm getting, the way my clothes fit, buying smaller sizes, but I'm still not really sure how to take the compliments from people noticing. So I'm working on the "thank you" and smiling, quickly changing the subject, and giving credit to what is helping me with it all. 

I'd love to say I'm gonna blow this year out of the water, make it the best yet, and be ridiculously optimistic, but I'm not.  I'm hopeful for really great and awesome things to happen, and would love it if they did, but don't want to let myself or anyone else down if they don't, so I'm living this "it is what it is" thing. 

So today, January 1st, 2014, this is a start... I've got something down, which is better than nothing. 
Pull Ups: Move Up to the Green Band - Chin over bar for full WOD
Push Ups: Non-Modified full WOD effort. 
Rope Climb ;) - No previous attempts, but if I can get the push ups and pull ups in place, this should be do-able
Double Unders - continuous and consistent - Softlanding, quicker wrists, less tripping over the damn rope!
Muscle Ups - Unassisted - definitely need more strength in my triceps. SO weak!

I know there is more, but for now, this is where I am and what I know I can pin point. 

***I am a lady.  I am allowed to change, add, edit, delete, and do whatever I please with what I have listed so far.  Prerogative is a good thing to have. 





No comments: